e-Classifieds Commerce Edition
How e-commerce gets done!
From $31.96 per month
Classic (distributed) e-Classifieds Commerce Edition
The classic version of the e-Classifieds Commerce Edition is our legacy script (distributed) version of the program, which dates back to the 1990's. It does not include free installation, hosting, technical support, or upgrades. Instead, customers can purchase it for a standard license fee as listed below and receive a package of files that they must then install on their own web server that meets the system requirements listed below. It also does not include the features listed above or elsewhere for the e-Classifieds Commerce Edition, but instead has the features listed further below on this page. Due to the substantial technical requirements for installing the classic version of this program, as well as the fact that it is no longer actively developed and thus lacks many features of the current on-demand (cloud) version, we strongly recommend choosing the regular (cloud) version of this program instead of the classic version.
|Distributed Version Specs|
|Requirements:||Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.) or Windows NT/2000/2003/2008 server, FTP access, Perl/CGI, sendmail/qmail or equivalent|
|Installation:||Not included (extra cost)|
|Support:||Not included (extra cost)|
|Upgrades:||Not included (extra cost)|
|Hosting:||Not included (extra cost)|
|Other Notes:||No free installations, support, upgrades, or web hosting services are included. All installations, support, upgrades, and web hosting services must be purchased separately, so if you think that you might ever need installation help, support, or upgrades (and you will definitely need to purchase web hosting services separately for the distributed version), the on-demand version will be a far better value for you, as it includes free installation, free support forever, free upgrades forever, and hosting of the application forever. Also, the on-demand and distributed versions are quite different, so please see the demos and complete feature list for each version.|
The Commerce Edition is our lowest priced version of e-Classifieds that contains support for real-time credit card processing that is completely seamless and automated. Your visitors will never have to leave your site in order to make a credit card payment. With the built-in features for electronic commerce, it's the ideal choice for newspapers, TV stations, corporations, and others seeking the very best classifieds program available. It is the only classifieds program on the market that supports our patent pending, seamlessly integrated real-time credit card processing through Authorize.Net, E-Commerce Exchange, and ATS Bank. If you choose to process credit card payments manually, the Commerce Edition can check the credit card information entered by the user to make sure that the number entered is in a valid format for that particular type of credit card, and it can also optionally compare this number against a list of stolen credit card numbers or numbers that should be rejected for some reason if you have such a list.
The Commerce Edition contains many other options for fee-based classifieds, such as the ability to charge for posting ads and/or for renewing ads. The program also allows you to charge for viewing ads in the full-size format only, for viewing ads in either full-size or headlines format, for replying to ads, for uploading multimedia files, for subscribing to the Auto-Notify feature, for adding maps to ads in the Housing section, or any combination of the above. It can even require all users to register before accessing any part of the classifieds and, optionally, to pay to register.
The Commerce Edition also includes Auto-Notify, which is a database-enabled personal search agent that allows your users to specify discrete price ranges or other features and have only those ads matching these criteria sent to them periodically. The program also features a checklist feature that allows users to "mark" certain ads for future viewing (the digital equivalent of circling ads in the newspaper). The Commerce Edition contains a two-way, fully secure private messaging system that is ideal for personals sites. It also has the ability to allow users to upload photos, sound clips, and/or video clips to their ads. The distributed version also allows you to set up "affiliate" web sites that participate in your classifieds section.
What distinguishes the distributed version of the e-Classifieds Commerce Edition?
- Powerful database searching capabilities. For example, your users will be able to conduct searches based upon specified criteria such as the city, or based upon a price range, number of bedrooms and bathrooms (for housing ads), age range (for personal ads), specific features (such as automatic or manual transmission for auto ads, or fireplace, etc. for housing ads), date range, and many, many more. With our Auto-Notify feature, users can set up their own personal search agent that automatically retrieves and sends them new ads matching their desired criteria.
- Portable to virtually any server. e-Classifieds has been specifically designed to work on both Unix and Windows NT/2000. That way, if you ever switch web hosting companies or servers, you will be able to take e-Classifieds with you, even if your new site will be using a different operating system.
- Scalable to 100,000 ads or more. By adding additional sections as necessary, you can continue to scale the program as your site grows.
- Secure through the use of encryption-based authentication for the administrator. The program stores the administrative password in an encrypted format. The file where it is stored is located in a separate directory, which can also be password-protected (if your server has .htaccess or other methods for password protecting directories) for double protection.
- Configurable through a myriad of options. There are numerous variables for setting fonts, colors, and even the header and footer that appears on all pages. You can also change the general layout of all HTML pages generated by the program. e-Classifieds even lets you easily add advertising banners to your pages.
- Loaded with dozens of powerful features found nowhere else. In fact, no other classifieds program on the market even comes close to offering the rich feature set found in e-Classifieds.
- Stylish interface that is attractive, professional, and easy to use.
Feature Summary (Distributed Version)
The following features are included with the distributed version of the e-Classifieds Commerce Edition:
Web Server Support
- Portability to both Unix and Windows NT/2000 web servers (including PC-based Unix variants such as Linux and FreeBSD).
- Scalable to 100,000 ads or more (each of the five sections can hold anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 ads or more, depending on the processor speed, memory, and other aspects of your web server).
User Interface and Layout
- Sophisticated interface that is intuitive and easy to use.
- Five separate default classified ads database sections for Automobiles, Employment, General Merchandise, Housing, and Personal ads, each with separate variables and forms optimized for these categories.
- Includes separate directory containing virtually all HTML output of the program, which makes it easier to translate to other languages. Graphics are also included.
- Administrator can change the general HTML layout for the various pages displayed by the program
- Front page display for each section contains links for each category and can optionally display the number of ads posted in that category next to its listing.
- Can optionally display the total number of ads in each section on the front page for that section.
- Auto-generation of listing of sections in the toolbar, which makes it easier to add new sections, since the HTML will be automatically updated.
- Sophisticated navigation bar includes navigation arrows and buttons below search results to help users quickly jump to different sections of their search results without having to keep hitting the "Next" button.
- Navigation bar at top of pages that indicates current section and category, with links to overall site home page and classifieds home.
- Context-sensitive pop-up menus that are activated by a Help link in the toolbar along the left-hand side of each page.
- Includes "Go Back" buttons on certain pages, such as error message pages.
- Displays "New" text or graphic next to sections and categories in which new ads have been posted since this user's last visit.
- Easy customization of appearance of program through variables and subroutines for defining the HTML layout of all pages created by the program.
- Easy customization of categories through one variable for each section.
- Many options for controlling the appearance of the ads, such as the table width, border size, background color, bar color, and various text colors and fonts.
- Many options for defining the colors of various tables, forms, and other displays throughout the program so that the administrator can change the appearance of the program much more easily.
- Flexibility to set up free or fee-based classified ads listings.
- Administrator has option of whether to use credit card billing or postal billing.
- An exclusive new Credit Check feature for optional fee-based classified ads systems. Unlike other programs that claim to be able to handle fee-based systems, Credit Check can accept credit card numbers, check them for validity, compare them against a list of stolen credit cards, and then include the credit card numbers in the registration notice that it sends to the administrator.
- Exclusive ability to handle real-time credit card processing through Authorize.Net. It also can handle real-time credit card processing through E-Commerce Exchange and ATS Bank. This allows you to earn money from your classifieds section each day without any manual processing of charges, as the ad fees are automatically deposited into your account.
- Ability for fee-based systems to store credit card information online. If this is done, the card numbers can be stored either in an unencrypted format (not recommended) or in an encrypted format where they are automatically decrypted on the fly whenever the administrator needs to see this information.
- Option of charging users for posting ads.
- Option of charging users for renewing ads.
- Option of charging users for viewing ads. This can be set up to allow users to view the "headlines" versions of the ads for free, but to require them to pay to see the full size ads, or it can be set up to charge them for viewing any ad information at all.
- Option of charging users for replying to ads.
- Support for charging different fees based on whether this is the first ad posted by this registered user, or a subsequent ad. This allows for discounts for multiple ads, and by allowing the administrator to set lower fees for additional ads, it discourages people from re-registering under a different username.
- Administrator can optionally charge for multimedia file uploads.
- Administrator can optionally charge users who subscribe to the Auto-Notify feature.
- Administrator can optionally charge all users who register.
- Administrator can optionally charge users for including maps with their ads in the Housing section.
Ad Display Options and Features
- One variable defines the section files, full names, and descriptions. The overall classifieds front page is automatically generated using these settings, which makes it easier to change or modify sections.
- The administrator can set variables for whether to limit users' ad renewals, the maximum number of renewals allowed, whether to charge for renewals, and the amount of the renewal charge.
- The administrator can set options for allowing users to choose from varying lengths of time that their ads remain posted on the system, and the ability to charge different fees for ads posted for different lengths of time.
- Overall classifieds front page displays the number of ads in each section next to its listing.
- Option to turn off the counter on the front page of each section that displays the current number of ads in that section.
- Ability to automatically keep track of the total number of ads posted by each user as they move from screen to screen, even if a purge has occurred after they logged on.
- Optional use of pre-defined values for Cities and States. Otherwise, users write in their own values.
- Ability for administrator to set the default method for displaying the ads ("full size" or "headlines").
- Administrator can determine whether URLs in ads should be displayed as clickable links or plain text.
- Optional caption headers that can be turned on or off and have pre-set choices for the caption headers. These options can be configured separately for each section.
- Administrator has option of whether to allow HTML in the ads.
- Display of expiration dates within ads displayed using the long format.
- Can display URLs and e-mail addresses as clickable links.
- Can display photos, sound files, and even video clips in ads.
- If the admin allows this, users can upload multiple photos to each ad.
- Users can modify or delete their multimedia uploads for their ads.
- Users can specify automatic generation of a map for their ads in the Housing section.
- Ability to limit the number of words posted in each ad.
- Ability for administrator to set the maximum number of words that may be contained in certain fields (such as the "text" field that contains the body of the ad).
- Size of included text in ads can be controlled by the administrator.
- Support for uploads by users of multimedia files to their ads, including photos, sound, and video clips.
- Preview feature that allows users to preview their ad before it is posted.
- Initial modification and deletion pages allow user to enter specific ad number to be modified or deleted, with options of viewing all ads posted by that user or using the advanced search form to search for a specific ad.
- Our exclusive Checklist feature allows users to mark certain ads for future viewing. When they come back in the future and click on "My Checklist", the program will display all of their checklisted ads. We call this "the digital equivalent of circling ads in the newspaper."
- Popup mortgage calculators in the Housing section and loan calculators in the Automobiles section automatically fill in the financial information relevant to this particular ad.
- Administrator can set maximum number of consecutive characters allowed in ads, thus preventing users from distorting the ad displays with really long strings of characters.
Expiration of Ads
- User can select from administrator-defined options for number of days before ads expire.
- Optional notification by e-mail to users whose ads are about to expire.
- Optional purging of ads that have expired.
- An exclusive new Auto-Notify feature that lets users set up their own personal search agent that will automatically e-mail them periodically with the new ads that match the database search criteria that they specified when they set up their agent. Their search criteria can include not only keywords, but also specific categories, features, or geographical locations, date ranges, price ranges, or any other database criteria. They can even choose to be notified only of new ads with photos, sound clips, and/or video clips.
- Users can choose how long their agent will last (from options defined by the admin) before it is automatically purged by the system.
- Users can set up as many search agents as they want for each section and throughout the classifieds.
- "Instant Auto-Notify" option that causes the program to run the Auto-Notify program for each new ad immediately after that ad is posted. Subscribers receive notification immediately after the ad has been posted.
- Admin can modify or delete users' Auto-Notify profiles from the web interface.
- Ability for administrator to turn on or off the "personal inbox" feature throughout the classifieds. The Personal Inbox feature functions as a full-strength, private, and secure messaging center. When someone replies to an ad, the poster is notified that they have a reply and is given a URL where they can retrieve it. The e-mail address of the person who replied is not revealed. When the original poster retrieves the reply, he or she has the option of sending a reply back, again without revealing his or her e-mail address. That way, the parties can send messages back and forth through the system without revealing their e-mail addresses or other personal information until they feel comfortable in doing so.
- Optimized search engine for seven different types of searches: browsing, keyword searches, category searches, retrieval of a specific ad by its database ID number, retrieval of all of a specific user's ads, retrieval of one specific ad for modification, and full database power searches.
- Powerful database searching capabilities that allow users to search for ads by many different fields and even by discrete ranges within fields, such as price ranges or date ranges.
- Optionally can be set up to allow users to select more than one item for certain items during searches (such as city, etc.) using new OR logic.
- Contains search options for searching by keyword, by ads posted within the last x days, or by all ads. Also contains user-friendly Boolean logic search options on the keyword search form.
- Option to turn off full database searching.
- Contains short results format for ads with links to details (long format). The short results format tables allow users to re-sort their search results on the fly by clicking on the table headers.
- Alphabetical, numeric, or date sorting on any field, as well as reverse sorting, case sensitive, and exact match options.
- Contains a powerful sorting routine that is sophisticated enough to properly recognize various inputs that users may use (for example, it understands that $40k means $40,000).
- Users can decide how many ads are displayed on each search results page through a menu choice on the search form (administrator can set the default number).
- Users can decide how search results should be sorted through a menu choice on the search form (administrator can also set the default).
- Simple user name and password registration.
- Can optionally send an automatic e-mail reply to users who register for an account. The message welcomes them and gives them their username and password. This might also encourage users who register but don't immediately post an ad to come back later and post their ad.
- Logs all user actions, including posting, modifying, or deleting ads.
- Ability to keep track of the number of ads posted by each registered user and to limit the total number of ads posted by an individual user.
- Includes dates in registration information and an update routine to the main program that updates the registration date when the person posts, modifies, or deletes an ad. That way, the administrator can prune old registration entries of people who haven't been back in a long time if necessary (in order to keep the registration file from getting too large).
- Ability to purge old user registrations.
- "Forgot Your Username" routine e-mails usernames for a particular e-mail address to that address.
- Users who have forgotten their user name can search for it using their e-mail address.
- Users can optionally have the system remember their logon username and password during future sessions through the usage of cookies.
- Users can update their registration information at any time.
- Admin can modify or delete user registrations.
- Admin can optionally allow only registered users to access any portion of the classifieds program.
Additional User Posting and Searching Options
- An exclusive new Auto-Notify feature that lets users set up their own personal search agent that will automatically e-mail them periodically with the new ads that match the database search criteria that they specified when they set up their agent. Their search criteria can include not only keywords, but also specific categories, features, or geographical locations, date ranges, price ranges, or any other database criteria.
- A Personal Inbox feature that allows users to post personal ads without having to reveal their e-mail addresses. Users respond to these ads through a form.
- Users can send an ad to a friend.
- Users who have forgotten their user name can search for it using their e-mail address.
- Users can search for ads by many different fields and even by discrete ranges within fields, such as price ranges or date ranges.
- Users can modify or delete their own ads at any time. When modifying an ad, the current ad's information is automatically inserted in the modification form.
- Users have option of whether to display their street address and telephone number in their ads.
- Users have the option of searching only for ads with photos, sound clips, or video clips.
- Users who forget their passwords can search for them based on their username and have the password e-mailed to them.
- Users can renew their ads based on pre-defined options.
- Users can choose from varying lengths of time that their ads remain posted on the system.
- Support for Sendmail on Unix servers
- Support for Blat and Windmail 3.0 on Windows NT/2000 servers.
- Support for connecting to SMTP mail servers on either Unix or Windows NT/2000 platforms (uses sockets)
- Modular format for the e-mail routines that makes it easier to add support for other e-mail programs in the future.
- Optional use or disabling of sendmail aliasing on the server.
- Ability to harvest names and e-mail addresses that are stored in a text file so that they can be used for a mailing list.
- Ability to view harvested names and e-mail addresses.
- Ability to clear list of harvested names and e-mail addresses.
- Ability to send mass e-mails to harvested users who have signed up for the mailing list.
- Allows users to e-mail an ad to a friend.
- Admin can turn off all e-mailing by the program if necessary.
- Includes Spam Guard, which allows the administrator to block specific users from posting ads based on their usernames or to block access based on partial or full IP addresses.
- Ability to block spammers by blocking specific company names, telephone numbers, or e-mail addresses.
- Optional duplicate checking. This causes the program to check for duplicate ads when someone is posting a new ad and give them an error message if it finds a duplicate ad. This is useful for blocking spammers and those users who seem to like hitting the Submit button multiple times.
- Includes IP address logging in log files and in e-mail notices sent to the administrator.
- Administrator has option of whether to use the log files that monitor all user posts, modifications, and deletions of ads, including IP address logging.
- Log files keep track of users whose ads were blocked for some reason, so that the administrator will know who is actually being blocked and can adjust these settings if necessary.
Additional Administrative Controls
- Administrative Control Panel allows administrator to manage virtually all aspects of the program through the web interface.
- System Configuration utility allows administrator to set most of the global system variables from the web interface. Each variable is preceded by text that explains what that variable does and how it should be set.
- Ability to define the administrator's title and the name of this classifieds site.
- Allows administrator to specify required fields in the setup files.
- Ability to optionally screen new ads by not making them immediately viewable until the administrator has approved them from a special form. They can also be deleted from that form.
- Includes global variables for listings of cities and states.
- Ability to strip out Server Side Includes (SSI) in user inputs.
- Ability for administrator to turn on or off the "personal inbox" feature throughout the classifieds. The Personal Inbox feature now functions as a full-strength, private, and secure messaging center. When someone replies to an ad, the poster is notified that they have a reply and is given a URL where they can retrieve it. The e-mail address of the person who replied is not revealed. When the original poster retrieves the reply, he or she has the option of sending a reply back, again without revealing his or her e-mail address. That way, the parties can send messages back and forth through this system without revealing their e-mail addresses or other personal information until they feel comfortable in doing so.
- Includes file-locking variable that can be set to use either the system's flock command (on most Unix and Windows NT/2000 servers) or the program's own built-in file locking mechanism.
- Administrative Control Panel contains ability to check the version being used against the current version at the e-Classifieds web site.
- Master On/Off switch allows the admin to temporarily turn the classifieds "off" during upgrades or maintenance.
- Allows admin to check permissions on all files and directories that need to be writable.
- Contains ability to create HTML pages for each ad, as well as a summary page for each section. This can help search engines find your classified ads, since they can't normally find the material inside a database.
- Control Panel contains tests for the location of Sendmail (Unix only), as well as various system paths and directories, that can help you quickly and easily determine the correct values for these settings.
- Encryption based authentication for the administrator.
- Option to hide the "Administrator" link in the toolbar until a registered administrator has logged in.
- Option to automatically send e-mail replies to users who post ads in order to validate ads.
- Optional notification by e-mail to the administrator when users post, modify, or delete ads, when they register, and when old ads are purged.
- Allows the administrator to easily modify or delete any ad at any time from the web interface (you can also delete multiple ads at a time).
- Ability to strip out "bad words" as defined by the administrator.
- Verifies e-mail addresses and URLs entered by users.
- Checks to make sure that users entered contact information.
Banner Ad Module
- Ability to display advertising banners within the program. These can be configured through program variables.
Affiliate Web Sites
- Ability to set up "affiliate" web sites that tie into your classified ads database, yet maintain the "look and feel" of their own web sites.
- Ability for administrator to modify the default time and date obtained from the program if the target audience is in a different time zone from where the server is located.
- Almost all of the HTML output, error output, and mail output is contained in a separate directory, which makes it much easier to translate this program into different languages. It also makes it easier for the administrator to modify these if so desired.
- Ability to set up country fields.
- Support for European date formats (DD/MM/YYYY).
- Support for multiple currencies.
- The distributed version of the Commerce Edition does not include any free updates or upgrades.